The assessment is a combination of both practical and theory examinations.
BPEC recommends that you use these training manuals as a pre-course study pack to prepare you for training and assessment.
This training material will serve both as a means of learning, as well as a tool of reference for future use.
- N/SVQ Level 2/3 in Plumbing or equivalent earlier certification; or
- N/SVQ Level 2/3 in Heating and Ventilating (Domestic Installation) or equivalent earlier certification; or
- N/SVQ Level 2/3 in Heating and Ventilating (Industrial and Commercial Installation) or equivalent earlier certification; or
- N/SVQ Level 2/3 in Oil-Fired Technical Services or equivalent earlier certification; or
- N/SVQ Level 2/3 in Gas Installation and Maintenance or equivalent earlier certification.
AND if not included in the above qualification
- Water Regulations/Water Byelaws
- Energy Efficiency for Domestic Heating
- Unvented Hot Water
An important element of this course is to understand the requirement to meet National Occupation Standards for competency for installation of domestic solid wood-based biomass heating systems. The Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) biomass standard covers installations with an output up to 45KWth
This BPEC training course can be used towards registration on the range of schemes available, including Competent Persons registration (CPS), HETAS, APHC,NAPIT, NICEIC and the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS).
This course and assessment is not regulated by OFQUAL
Certificates are normally valid for 5 years.
This course incorporates both Core solid fuel and biomass heating systems and is aimed at qualified heating engineers who wish to install domestic solid wood-based biomass heating systems.
The combined course is run over a minimum of 5 days.
The training course and manuals cover the following:
- Introduction to solid fuel and wood heating
- Solid fuel wood heating
- Combustion, appliance types and fuel types
- Legislation, regulations and standards
- Flues and chimneys classification
- Flues and chimneys ventilation
- Appliance installation requirements
- Appliance maintenance requirements
- Basic chimney faults
- Unsafe situations
- Introduction to wood heating
- Biomass heating systems: technical overview
- Fuel supply and combustion
- Regulations and standards
- System cost, funding and policy support
- Hydraulic systems
- Fuel storage systems
- Conducting a site assessment
- Installation and maintenance
- Determining system size
- Commissioning and customer handover
- Operation and maintenance
- Unsafe situation
Locate your nearest assessment centre here