The 8 competitors who will compete in the 2016 SkillPLUMB UK final have been named, following a series of challenging regional heats earlier this year.
All will now go head-to-head in a three-day practical task on 17-19 November at The Skills Show, the UK’s largest skills and careers event at the NEC Birmingham where over 60 WorldSkills UK national competitions will be held across different occupations.
In the quest to be crowned SkillPLUMB champion, contestants will have to install a small sealed central heating system with expansion vessel and ancillary equipment, including bespoke radiators, a simulated hot water cylinder, motorized zone values and associated copper pipework.
The finalists, listed with their training provider and employer details, are:
• Sam Shepherd, Fife College/SNIPEF, University of St Andrews
• Zak Clay, Shrewsbury College, Holland & Clay Limited
• Gareth Jones, Hyfforddiant Ceredigion Training, D B Lewis
• Ewan McGregor, Chichester College, Clarke Service Ltd
• David Blewett, Moray College UHI, Phil Bird ZETGAS,
• Sam Finn, Borders College/SNIPEF, Craig Rodgerson Plumbing & Heating
• Gary Knight, Southern Regional College NI/CITB NI
• Ben Randoll, Bridgwater College, Handiheat
SkillPLUMB has The Copper Initiative as its premier sponsor and is organised by BPEC on behalf of the plumbing industry.
“The standard of work has been really high this year and we’re looking forward to seeing the best young apprentices of the industry battle it out to be named champion of the UK,” said Neil Collishaw of BPEC. “The finals are inspirational to young people thinking of a vocational career and The Skills Show, with around 75,000 visitors, is an excellent platform to showcase the skills and talents of all finalists.”
For more information on SkillPLUMB click here.