January 18, 2023
Update from the BPEC Services team (Training Courses and Learning Materials): Following extensive consultation, the requirements for the DGF MLP (training requirements for new entrants to the gas industry-domestic gas) has been updated by EU Skills.
The new requirements took effect on 1/9/22 and are stipulated in IGEM/IG/1 and IGEM/IG/1 Supplement 2. As a result, BPEC’s DGF MLP was re-written and the new version (complying with IGEM/IG/1) was published in August 2022. This took effect for all new registrations on or after 1/9/22. The changes do not affect learners who started on programme before that date.
Some of the main changes introduced include:
- Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for core competencies has been reduced to 266 hours.
- GLH for Boilers (CENWAT) has increased to 35 hours and now includes system wiring and heating design etc. GLH for cookers/heaters/warm air units/meters remains unchanged at 7 hours each.
- On-site work experience for new entrants (with no experience) has increased to 675hrs.
- Learners must be on programme for at least 6 months and there is now a requirement to register learners with BPEC when they start the programme.
- On-site evidence requirements are like the 2017 version, but 4 occasions will be required instead of 3 (3 for maintenance instead of 2). That said, the new version has more flexibility with options to do more service or more installs etc.
- The range of on-site evidence has been reduced. Boilers, for example, will not require a traditional boiler to be installed and all the references to different types of flues has been removed.
- An equipment list has been incorporated into Supplement 2 at appendix 4. Existing centres will be expected to demonstrate their provision meets the new requirements during EQA visits.
- The terms assisted and unassisted are still being used but evidence requirements for assisted work have been simplified.
- Some of the criteria listed in section 5/5a (2017 version) has been transferred to assessments. This has reduced the content of section 5a and removed the need for off the job records.
All associated documentation, including IGEM/IG/1 and Supplement 2 can be found in the BPEC Services Resource Area.
Future changes to training requirements
EU Skills has updated IGEM/IG/1 Supplement 3 which is the training specification for Metering and ESP. This has been published for consultation (now closed) and is being reviewed considering feedback. A date has not yet been set for the implementation of the new requirements. It is expected that once supplement 3 has been completed, EU Skills will start the review process for Non-Domestic training requirements.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org