The 10 competitors who will compete in the 2015 SkillPLUMB UK final have been named, following a series of challenging regional heats earlier this year.
All will now go head-to-head in a three-day practical task on 19-21 November at The Skills Show, the UK’s largest skills and careers event at the NEC Birmingham where over 60 WorldSkills UK national competitions will be held across different occupations.
In the quest to be crowned SkillPLUMB champion, contestants will have to install a domestic central heating system including bespoke radiators and towel rail, and hot and cold pipework to a simulated kitchen and bathroom.
The finalists, listed with their training provider and employer details, are:
• Alex Rooney, South West College/CITB NI, David Lindsay Plumbing & Heating
• Algirds Balta, Borders College/SNIPEF, Greenheat Renewables
• Daniel Doughty, Coleg Sir Gar, E Jones Plumbing & Heating
• Daniel Martins, EAS Mechanical/BEST, Briggs & Forrester Group
• Gavin Rice, Southern Regional College/CITB NI, Seamus Matthews Ltd
• Matthew Gorrie, Perth College/SNIPEF, LW Haddow Plumbing & Heating
• Matthew Jakeman, Bedford College, Pronto Plumber
• Owen Boswell, Suffolk New College, Sleepsafe
• Richard Wilson, North East College Scotland/SNIPEF, Sugplumb
• Thomas Strong, Lakes College, Russel Dicks
SkillPLUMB has The Copper Initiative as its premier sponsor and is organised by BPEC.
“The standard of work has been really high this year and we’re looking forward to seeing the best young apprentices of the industry battle it out to be named champion of the UK,” said Neil Collishaw of BPEC. “The finals are inspirational to young people thinking of a vocational career and The Skills Show, with around 75,000 visitors, is an excellent platform to showcase the skills and talents of all finalists.”
For more information on SkillPLUMB visit www.bpec.org.uk/the-bpec-charity