The outboard motor came loose and fell into the sea!

December 2013

Returning to Bluefields for more material, turned out a bigger task than expected. The merchants where I had ordered and paid for all of the sand and cement, did not receive the sand.

They offered to sell us other sand that was more expensive. With our budget stretching already on materials, I then had to shop around for sand elsewhere.

Thankfully I was able to find another merchant selling the sand we needed and we were also able to get our little boats right up beside his shop.

This helped us a lot meaning we did not have as much hauling to do as we would normally from the road to the jetty. Unfortunately though, we could not carry all the material in one go in the boats, and all the shops would be closing over the holiday period.

Most shops were not re-opening until the 6th of January!

As much material was taken as possible on the boats with a few trips, and would have to wait until the 6th January to collect the rest of the sand.

I also spent an afternoon shopping for toys for the children, and food to feed them all on Christmas day.

With all our purchases made we left Bluefields again for the new Rama Village.

Back at the island we would be busy – even though we had not got all of the sand we had plenty to do. All being that my original plan of shipping material had not stretched into 2 weeks, and there were yet another 2 trips to make.

We set out later in the evening as it took a long time to get all the material we needed as well as food provisions in the boats – shortly after leaving the dock we had engine trouble and the engine cut… It took a while to start again, once we got going all seemed ok, until the outboard motor came loose and fell into the sea, luckily it was tied to the boat as a precaution for this happening.

The outboard was retrieved and we tried in vain to start the engine again, but nothing.

We were stranded and it was 10:30pm, already totally dark. Slowly, due to our heavy load, we paddled the boat to a location that we knew boats would have to pass by, and there we waited.

Almost 12.00am, we heard the sound of a small boat, it was Karlita in the small boat searching for them. It was much too dark now to even attempt putting her motor onto our boat and towing hers. Instead, we had to tie the two boats together alongside each other, and tow the larger of the boats to Rama Cay. This was a long slow process, arriving after 1:30am tired and exhausted.

At the location for the new Rama Village the boats were unloaded again before taking a well-earned shower in the cool water.

You are thankful for this at the end of each hot sweaty day’s work.

The next few days the team began carting materials up to the top of the hill – about 1 mile from the jetty.

There was plenty of shell to continue putting down, as when it rains in Nicaragua, it really pours down, and the road becomes impassable.

See a full collection of images from the Rama Cay project here