Gas Safe Register has been working with the production team of popular TV soap Coronation Street, on a story-line showing the risks posed by unregistered and unqualified people working on gas appliances, and the danger from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning which can result.
On New Years Eve millions of Coronation Street fans saw popular character Fiz Brown, played by Jennie McAlpine, 28, suffer from deadly CO poisoning, caused from a faulty gas boiler worked on illegally by her pal Tyrone Dobbs. Fiz was found unconscious after suffering the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, which she mistook for flu.
The storyline continues tonight with Fiz in hospital fighting to regain consciousness. To promote the storyline, Gas Safe Register has launched a digital marketing campaign across its social media platforms, including Facebook and Twitter (@GasSafeRegister), where you can take part in the conversation using the hashtag #silentkiller. Gas Safe Register have also set up a dedicated website covering all of the gas safety issues affecting Fiz and Tyrone – www.staygassafe.co.uk.