We have made the very difficult decision to cancel this year’s live competition events. However, we have been working with WorldSkills UK to produce a variety of new competition-related materials.
SkillPLUMB is an annual skills competition designed to promote standards and skills across the plumbing industry, developing competence into excellence. The competition sees talented young plumbers test their expertise on a series of challenging practical tests in a bid to be named the SkillPLUMB UK champion.
SkillPLUMB can bring invaluable benefits to students, colleges and employers. Competitors can gain recognition for exceptional skills, injecting dynamism and excitement into training. Employers can enhance their business reputation and improve the skills of their workforce.
You can see previous competitors working at the national final by taking a look at our video:
You can also see a collection of photographs from the 2019 regional heats and the 2019 final on our Facebook page.
The competition is open to students studying plumbing with a provider at L2/L3. To help assist colleges, training providers and employers in selecting their most suitable plumbing apprentice to enter, we have developed the following materials which include two different in-house competitions:
- Talent Spotting Checklist (to help identify your best candidates)
- In-house Competition (ready-made competition to deliver in-house)
- In-house Competition 2020 (ready-made competition to deliver in-house)
- Training to Succeed (training manual to help competitors prepare)
New Resources Available
Although the live competitions have been postponed, BPEC has been working with WorldSkills UK to produce a variety of new competition-related materials. These will future-proof and enhance the next SkillPLUMB competition cycle. They are as follows:
- Plumbing & Heating Technical Description for competition – this includes a competition overview, entry criteria, competencies required, how marks are awarded, top tips from judges and links to other resources.
- Lesson plans – specific lesson plans to enable plumbing tutors to embed and deliver skills competitions into their curriculum.
These new resources will be available soon from the BPEC and WorldSkills UK websites.
We would like to thank all of our SkillPLUMB sponsors and supporters, which include the following organisations: